Getting confused with all this talk of 417 and 462 visas? Both allow non-Australians to come to Australia on a working holiday, but they do have slight differences. 

Who can apply?

  • Working Holiday (subclass 417) visas are open to people with passports from Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom. 
  • Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visas are open to people with passports from: Argentina, Austria, Chile, China, People’s Republic of, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, USA, Uruguay, Vietnam 


How do the visa requirements vary?

  • 462 visas have education requirements, while 417 visas do not.  
  • 462 visas require a letter of support from your government of origin (unless you’re from the U.S.), while 417 visas do not.  
  • 462 visas also require evidence of functional English, while 417 visas do not.  


Does the maximum length of stay vary?

Yes! This is one of the most significant differences between 417 and 462 visas. Those holding a 417 visa are eligible to apply for a second year long working holiday visa if they complete three months of specified work in regional Australia. 462 visa holders can not apply for a second-year work and holiday visa. 

Hopefully that clears up any confusion over 417 and 462 visas. Happy travels! 


Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) 


The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) is a temporary visa for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. It is a temporary visa that encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and eligible countries.  

First Working Holiday visa: You must be outside Australia when you apply for your first Working Holiday visa and when the visa is decided. 

Second Working Holiday visa: If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted. 

Working in Australia – six months with one employer: You can generally only work six months with one employer. More information is available at Working in Australia – six months with one employer 


What this visa (417) lets you do: 

  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months 
  • work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer 
  • study for up to four months 
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid 


If you would like more information about your application or pricing, please get in touch here, as information varies on a case by case basis.