Student visa (subclass 500) 

This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full time in a recognised educational facility. 



You must: 

  • Be 6+ years old 
  • Have been accepted to study by an educational institution in Australia 
  • Organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age 

Length of stay: Up to 5 years 

All the following types of study are included on this visa: 

  • Independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) 
  • Schools (primary and secondary) 
  • Secondary school exchange program 
  • Vocational education and training (VET) 
  • Higher education 
  • Postgraduate research 
  • Non-award courses 
  • International students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence 



You must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) 

If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course(s) of study with your visa application.  


Other Student Visas 


Student Guardian visa (subclass 590) 

If you plan to come to Australia to provide care to a student under 18 years, you can apply for the Student Guardian visa (subclass 590). 

This visa allows you to stay in Australia as the guardian of an international student younger than 18 years of age studying in Australia on a student visa. 


Training visa (subclass 407)

For training opportunities which allow you to take part in structured workplace-based training, you may be eligible for the Training visa (subclass 407). 

This visa allows you to: 

  • Take part in workplace-based training to enhance your skills in your current occupation, area of tertiary study, field of expertise 
  • Participate in a professional development training program in Australia

This visa is not appropriate for persons whose sole intention is to work. 


Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

If you have finished your studies and wish to work in Australia temporarily, you may be eligible for the post-study work visa, the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). 

  • This visa allows eligible international students who have completed an Australian education to stay in Australia to gain work experience
  • You can work in Australia for a period of 18 months and up to 4 years, depending on your qualification
  • This visa does not restrict the type of work you may do or the number of hours you may work
  • Applications for this visa must be made in Australia and you must hold an eligible student visa in the last 6 months
  • You must meet Australian study, English proficiency, health insurance, health and character requirements
  • You must meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for this visa


If you would like more information about your application or pricing, please get in touch here, as information varies on a case by case basis.