In March 2018, the 457 visa was replaced by the Subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa. 

As this visa was designed to satisfy different staffing needs it offers a short-term, medium to long term and regional stream.  

Applicants with occupations on the Short-Term Skilled Occupations list (STSOL) are eligible for visas up to two years (renewable once, for a further two years), while those on a Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or Regional Occupation List (ROL) can apply for up to four years, becoming eligible for permanent residency after three years.  


Who can apply for a TSS visa? 

You can apply for the visa if your occupation is on the STSOL, MLTSSL or ROL list and you have an eligible employer who is willing to sponsor you. However, you must meet all the criteria associated with the relating visa.  

Differences between the two main streams 


Short-Term: For Australian businesses or employers to temporarily fill skill gaps. 

Medium-Term: For applicants working in skilled occupations that are considered ‘high value’ to the economy in the medium to long-term period. 


Short-Term:  2 years 

Medium-Term: 4 years 


Short-Term: Can be renewed onshore only once. 

Medium-Term: Can be renewed onshore. 

Permanent Residency 

Short-Term: No pathway to permanent residency. 

Medium-Term: Permanent residency pathway after three years. 

If you held a 457 visa BEFORE to 18 April 2017, you may be eligible for PR if you meet the following requirements: 

  • Hold a valid 457 Visa 
  • Have been sponsored (as the primary applicant) by your nominating employer on a 457 Visa for at least two years 
  • Under the age of 50 
  • Competent English speaker 

If you lodged a 457 visa after the 18 April 2017, you may be eligible for PR if the following is met: 

  • Hold a valid 457 or TSS Visa 
  • Have been sponsored (as the primary applicant) by your nominating employer on a 457 Visa for at least three years 
  • Your occupation must be listed on the MLTSSL for 186 applications 
  • Your occupation must be listed on the Regional RSMS Occupation List for 187 applications 
  • Competent English speaker 
  • 45 years of age or younger


Can I change sponsors? 

If you hold a 457 visa and wish to transfer your sponsorship, the new sponsor will need to nominate you on a TSS visa. 

Approval to Sponsor 

Unless you are already an approved standard business sponsor or have executed a labour agreement with the Department, the first step to sponsoring an overseas worker for a TSS visa will be to apply to become a standard business sponsor. For information on the requirements and who can be a standard business sponsor – please get in touch with us here. 

How often are the occupation lists changed? 

The Government regularly review the list to help increase candidates in occupations which are needed. Occupations are often removed and moved between lists, sometimes without any notice. 

If you would like more information about your application or pricing, please get in touch here, as information varies on a case by case basis.