This visa allows skilled workers to live and work in regional or low-population growth metropolitan areas of Australia for up to four years.
There are three pathways to the visa:
- The Extended stay pathway
- The Invited pathway
- The Subsequent entry pathway
- Hold a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496 visa (Extended Stay pathway)
- Be nominated by a state or territory government agency or be sponsored by an eligible relative (Invited pathway)
- Be invited to apply (Invited pathway)
- Have a relevant occupation
- Have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
- Meet the points test pass mark of 65 points
- Be under 45 years of age at time of invitation
- Have Competent English.
Length of stay: Up to four years
The Invited Pathway
If you are applying via the invited pathway, submit an expression of interest (EOI) via Skillselect with details of your nominated occupation, skills and qualifications and whether you will be sponsored by a family member or wish to be nominated by an Australian state or territory. SkillSelect will estimate a points score.
If you score high enough, you will be invited to apply for the visa if you are sponsored by a relative,
Australian state and territory government agencies will be able to view your EOI and decide if they want to nominate you. If you are nominated, you will be invited to apply for the visa.
The invited pathway is for applicants who do not meet the criteria for the extended pathway. You either:
- Want to be nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or
- Will be sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area of Australia.
You must be prepared to live, work and study in only certain areas of Australia. If you are:
- Nominated by a state or territory government agency, this is a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area
- Sponsored by a relative, this is a designated area of Australia.
The Extended Stay Pathway
The extended stay pathway is for applicants who currently hold one of the following provisional visas and complied with all visa conditions for at least two years before applying for this visa:
- Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 475)
- Skilled—Regional Sponsored visa (subclass 487)
- Skilled—Independent Regional visa (subclass 495)
- Skilled—Designated Area Sponsored Provisional visa (subclass 496).
You must have never held more than one of these visas.
You can work in any occupation and for any employer.
If you were nominated by a state or territory for your current skilled visa, you must live and work in a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area in the same state or territory that nominated you for your current visa.
If you were sponsored by a relative for your current skilled visa, you can live and work in any designated area in any state or territory.
The Subsequent entry pathway
The subsequent entry pathway is for applicants who are a member of the family unit of someone who already holds a Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) or a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496 visa.
If you would like more information about your application or pricing, please get in touch here, as information varies on a case by case basis.